Monday, October 4, 2010

The easiest, tastiest, and cheapest cake you'll ever make

I mean no exaggerations whatsoever when I say that this cake was the most delicious one I have ever had in my entire life. The fact that it only uses two ingredients, both of which were on sale at Stop & Shop on the day I decided to try it, only makes it that much better.

I found the recipe for this cake here on Noble Pig. It looks too easy, right? That's what I thought. It's just as easy as it looks, and I swear on my dog's life, it is incredible, tasty, sweet-but-not-gonna-give-you-a-sugar-headache, perfect cake. At least, that's what my taste buds thought, and they have never lied to me before.

All you need is yellow cake mix and a can of pumpkin. Seriously, that's it.
The recipe is incredibly straightforward. You pour the yellow cake mix (on sale for $1) and the can of pumpkin (on sale for $1.50) into a bowl and stir. I didn't have an electric mixer on-hand to mix those two sole ingredients together, so I used a spatula, and it too was just as easy. When you mix the two together, you will think that you don't have enough pumpkin. You will think that you are going to have to drive to Stop & Shop and buy another can. But just as you start to turn yourself towards the back door, still stirring, you'll notice everything blending together perfectly, and decide there won't be a need for an additional can.


The Noble Pig version of the recipe uses a homemade apple cider glaze. I decided to make a different sweet glaze, using confectioner's sugar and water. I found a recipe for it online, but ultimately decided to wing it. I put a little water into a measuring cup -- the amount of glaze I wanted, that was the amount of water I used -- and mixed in powdered sugar until it got to the consistency I wanted. Yes, it came out way too sweet, and yes, it kind of ruined everything. If you only use a little of it, though, it tastes fine. Just don't douse your cake in glaze.

There's a reason the recipe comes with a separate recipe for a glaze -- specifically a glaze, and not a frosting. When I tried to frost the cake (with Nutella), it basically crumbled under my fork. It falls apart pretty easily. However, when you're just dribbling glaze over it, there won't be any crumbling. Next time I make this cake, I have every intention of melting a little Nutella and pouring it over the cake. Total loophole.

I was afraid this would taste way too pumpkiny to be very good, but the pumpkin flavor was very subtle. The pumpkin-to-cake flavor ratio was spot-on.


Problems I ran into
No problems. Literally the easiest thing I've ever made. After eating it, I told my mom about it and insisted that I make it for dessert at Thanksgiving. Not only is it delicious and easy to make, it's also so much healthier than a normal cake, lower in fat and cholesterol because you don't have to add butter, milk, or eggs. It's been days since making this cake, and I'm still blown away by it.

I've never been this enthusiastic about a cake before. But I could get used to it.

2 comments:

  1. I love this recipe. I've made it a bunch of times. So sneaky but so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make something like this with Spice Cake, pumpkin, and 1/2cup water. It makes deliciously soft muffins. -Hillary

    ReplyDelete