Saturday, August 21, 2010

Mini Tortilla Pizzas

There were a ton of mini tortillas left over after making soft tacos, which begs for more tortilla recipes. Waking up this morning, the Travel Channel was playing a show about pizzas. The craving was implanted. The need for pizza was born.

Making pizzas is so simple, there's really no need to have a list or a photo of ingredients. For my breakfast I just made a standard cheese pizza, but you can literally do whatever you want with it.

But what is it that qualifies the dish as "pizza?" What if you choose to forgo the use of sauce and cheese altogether? I found a ton of different definitions of the word, from various online dictionaries and Wikipedia, and each one had just one thing in common: it's a baked dish in which all of your toppings are stuck on a round piece of bread. Some definitions included that the differences between types of pizzas are culturally based. So if you don't feel like going with the grain and making a "typical" pizza, don't. Pizza is freedom.

For my cheese pizza, I used a few of the cheap mini tortillas I used to make soft tacos the other night, some Ragu pasta sauce, and some cheddar cheese (in the cheese selection, I just stuck with the first thing I could pull out of the refrigerator).

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Since my pizzas were smaller, I didn't need to bake them for long; ten minutes at 350 got the job done.

Problems I ran into
I didn't really have any problems, but there were a few things that I wish I had done differently. Because I just made these pizzas on a whim and without any real desire to make them completely phenomenal, I just tried to make them as quickly as possible. I thought the use of pasta sauce instead of a designated pizza sauce would present an issue when it came time to eat the pizza, but it didn't. It did, however, make the tortilla a little soggy as it sat on my plate. To remedy this, I would not change the sauce; I would bake the tortillas alone in the oven for a few minutes to harden them a bit. This will probably also make the pizza easier to cut when it comes out of the oven.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

The only other thing I would have done differently: experimentation. Looking through the refrigerator, there were plenty of potentially awesome pizza toppings I could have tried, but like a fool, I didn't.

You're entitled to your freedom. You're entitled to pizza. Experiment and create your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment