Thursday, August 19, 2010

Taco Night: The Best of All The Nights

Yes, it's true: the best night of the week in this house is taco night. While it doesn't occur on the same night every week, it does happen at least once in every seven days. After spending all day at work thinking about the soft tacos at On The Border in West Springfield, it only seemed appropriate to make tonight taco night.

Tacos are easy to make, and there are a lot of variations of them. Tonight, we made our "usual" tacos, consisting only of refried beans and cheese baked in a taco shell. I also tried my hand at making soft tacos, which ended on a slightly less successful note than the hard tacos.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
(Not pictured: a bag of Mexican cheese blend. I would also like to point out that those tortillas cost $5 for three packages. Score.)

All you have to do is open up a can of refried beans, spoon some into the taco shell (or onto a soft taco or tortilla), sprinkle some cheese on top, and bake at 350 degrees for ten minutes or until everything is heated to your liking.


Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

The final product:
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Problems I ran into
With the hard tacos, none. They're pretty hard to screw up. However, with the soft tacos, I was pretty much just winging it the entire time. I kept them in the oven just as long as the hard tacos, which made the tortillas crunchy, thus ruining the "soft" effect I was going for. They were still delicious, and they had a much lower fat content than the hard tacos, but they lacked the texture I was going for.

And another thing...
Since I had an entire package of tortillas, I decided to experiment with some dessert as well. I spread Nutella on one tortilla and sprinkled a few chocolate chips on them. Then, per the suggestion of my boyfriend, I rolled it up into a sort of chocolate enchilada. I thought it was pretty good.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
(Photo by Sam <3)

1 comment: